5 Terms You Should Know When Shopping for Replacement Windows

Has it been years now since the last time you purchased replacement windows in Pleasanton, CA? If so, there are going to be some terms thrown around when you’re shopping for new windows that you’ve probably never heard before. You can, of course, ask a window expert to explain the terms when you’re looking around at replacement windows. But if you want to stay one step ahead, it’s a good idea to learn some of the most oft-used terms prior to starting the window-buying process. Learn about 5 terms you should know when you’re on the hunt for replacement windows below.

replacement windows in Pleasanton, CA

Single-pane, double-pane, and triple-pane

Years ago, all windows had just a single pane of glass in them. So there was really no need for window companies to identify them as “single-pane” windows. But today, you can find windows with one pane, two panes, and even three panes of glass in them. These windows are referred to as single-pane, double-pane, and triple-pane windows. The more panes of glass that a window has, the better its insulating properties. You can make your home infinitely more energy efficient by going with double- or triple-pane windows as opposed to single-pane ones.

Single-hung and double-hung

In addition to having just one pane of glass in them, the Pleasanton, CA windows of yesteryear were also what are called single-hung windows. They had just one operable sash that allowed the bottom part of a window to move up and down. But these days, there are single-hung windows as well as double-hung windows that have two operable sashes on them. Many homeowners love having the ability to move both parts of a window with double-hung windows.


We just mentioned a “sash” and realize that some of you who are shopping for windows might not know what that means. It’s yet another term you’ll hear thrown around early and often by those who specialize in selling windows. The sash on a window is the part of the window that sits inside the frame of it and holds the window glass. Sashes on windows can be either stationary or operable depending on whether you have single-hung or double-hung windows.


You’re probably familiar with what the grilles on windows are, even if you’ve never known exactly what they’re called. Grilles are the decorative pieces that are placed in sashes to make panes of glasses appear as though they’re divided up into different window panels. You can remove grilles to clean windows before putting them back into place to give your windows a divided look.


When there are two separate windows that sit directly next to one another, homeowners will often choose to make it look like they’re connected. In order to accomplish this look, window installers will use a structural piece known as a mullion. It attaches two windows together and makes them look like one.

At R & M Quality Windows & Doors, we can help you find the replacement windows you want regardless of whether or not you know all the terms listed here. We’ll also help you work your way through the entire Pleasanton, CA window replacement process from start to finish. Reach out to us at (510) 796-0100 or pay us a visit at 5588 Central Ave #A, Newark, CA 94560 to get the process off the ground.